Weakfish (Tiderunner, Sea Trout)
New York State open fishing season: all year
Best fishing time: end of May - to mid October
Premium fishing time: September
1. Weakfish prefer water temperatures 60°F or higher (on Long Island: from end of May to mid October)
2. Weakfish have slow vision (~25 cycles per second) and are more sensitive to contrast and movement then color.
3. Weakfish can't see red or pink color, but can see far into ultraviolet range.
4. Weakfish (and all fish) at night and in low light condition can't see color.
5. Weakfish move towards pray slowly, and lunge at pray with jaws open, when within short distance.
6. Fish for weakfish only at night, before sunrise, after sunset, or on day with heavy overcast / rain.
7. Weakfish lures presentation: very slow retrieve or drifting with water current a must.
8. Best working presentation: cast - sink - drift, retrieve line only to keep contact with lure,
be prepared for fish strike when sinking lure (~5% landed fish), "controlled lure sinking"
is more easy with manual pick-up reel and can generate more strikes.
Weakfish size chart
(Approximated average data)
Home Copyright © striperonline.com Last modified: 07/24/14